Saturday, June 27, 2009

my 2c worth

So yesterday was a sad day for celebrity with the passing of Farrah Fawcett, my original fav Charlies Angel to cancer then we were told of the sudden death of the King of Pop Micheal Jackson.


As I sit here listening to a tribute show on the TV I have to agree he was a huge & amazing influence on the pop music world -but I wonder at the way that since yesterday, it has suddenly become cool to be one of his fans again.

I was a fan - I remember first becoming aware of him musically with the Off the Wall album (I remember a friend had a lifesize (?) poster on the back of her door). Of course I knew about the Jackson 5 but this was now my teenage years and music was important!

And I stayed a fan - I loved to dance to his music and wow, those thriller videos really changed the direction of music videos. I can even count myself as one of the lucky who saw him in concert.

Until - well I guess when his life became more tabloid news rather than his music...those weird duets with Janet and Lisa Marie...and the public unraveling of his closeted life.

And then I felt sorry for him... No one should have to live their life under such scrutiny but this is what celebrity has come to be. Whether or not he did so many of the things he has been accused of, his version of life was obviously not even close to 'normal' in so many ways.


I hope his children have a chance at a good and somewhat private life now (but chances are slim I guess).

May they both rest in peace.

No comments: