Monday, October 20, 2008

Do we have a Menagerie?

What is the official number of pets you have to have before it is classed as a menagerie...or zoo??
We have 1 dog, 2 fish, 6 chickens, random mice and now.....

YD came home from getting more chicken feed yesterday with our latest additions -14 silkworms.

Yay say the kids but really the novelty was fairly short lived -I mean they really aren't that exciting. #1son keeps calling them inchworms and *boy calls them earthworms..... they do lots of poos has been the most exciting remark so far!

What do you feed them? I ask knowing full well there is no mulberry tree in our backyard. Well mulberry leaves I am told......From where????
Luckily we do have a tree along the bikepath near us so guess who was out for a quick bike ride before work this morning? And I hope the said tree can support our pilfering for approximately the next month as our worms dine on its leaves twice a day...yes twice a day according to the lifecycle reference I found -so what do they do the rest of the day as I don't see them out playing golf or watching tv??

4 comments:

Le said...

and then what are you suppose to do with them when they are cocooned !!

CGDK said...

why we share them out to our bestest buds and tell them there's a surprise in them!!!

hester said...

That's funny because Emma was given three silkworms today by the neighbour's kids. They all trooped off to the park with Scott to get mulberry leaves and she then spent hours cuddling them in front of the tv. She really really needs that puppy!

Graeme said...

ah, brings back memories of my childhood - silkworms were a big part of it.