Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Supersize me

We have 6 pet chickens gained thru school & kindy hatching programs. They really don't stay cute and fluffy very long but my boys have taken to them. They are, of course, named and we have Goldie, Blackie, Reddy, Brownie, Salt & Pepper....yeah guess the colours....

Being the good girls they are we get 5 or 6 eggs per day at the moment (except when Brownie goes broody as she has been the last fortnight or so and doesn't lay), enough to share with family, friends and to placate neighbours who are woken by squawking chooks occasionally.

This week one of them has outdone herself producing a
whopper of an egg which not surprisingly turned out to be a double yolker!

All the chooks were rewarded with cuddles from #1Son who was very impressed......


Unfortunately we got no eggs today after the laying boxes were left open and it appears the crows got in for a meal before us........

3 comments:

Le said...

ohhhh makes me go ouch just thinking about it ...

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

I just came by to say Le's banner looks great. Everytime I see your icon on your comments to her, I think about how much you look like someone famous. WHO IS IT??? Has someone told you that you look famous? And, for a long time, I thought that pick was Le - with that graphic twist. Too much latenight blogging, I guess.

Graeme said...

Double yolker - that's the first I've heard of such a thing. Amazing. Now all you need is a cow and you can save heaps on your grocery bill...